May 17, 2012
Under the auspices of the 1890 Capacity Building Grant entitled "Development of Silvopasture Systems involving meat goats under pine plantation for enhancing economic and environmental competitiveness of limited-resource farmers and small-scale landowners" and 1890 McIntire Stennis Forestry Research Project entitled “Sustainable Vegetation Management in Alabama Using Goats,” a workshop will be convened on Friday, May 17, 2012 by Tuskegee University in collaboration with Florida A & M University and Federation of Southern Cooperatives/Land Assistance Fund at Tuskegee, Alabama.
Participants will include land owners, livestock producers, county agents, NRCS personnel, university researchers, and students. The purpose of the event is to increase awareness and support for the application of agroforestry/silvopasture systems involving goats. In addition, participants in the workshop will be updated on the research progress achieved to date. The workshop will also facilitate research information exchange between research collaborators including demonstration and organizing research site tours
i) What are silvopasture systems?
ii) Importance of Agroforestry/Silvopasture practices
iii) Opportunities and Challenges of silvopasture systems
iv) Enhancement of understory under Silvopasture Systems and interactions among the components of silvopasture systems
v) Animal Management under Silvopasture systems
vi) Employment of Goats for Vegetation Management
vii) Project updates
viii) Research Site and Field Tours
1. Coming from Auburn: Take I-85 South to Exit #38 and make a left onto Highway 81. Follow Highway 81(highway bends); turn right onto Old Montgomery Road at traffic light (Burger King on the left); turn right at the second traffic light into the Tuskegee University main campus entry. At the main entrance, please ask for the Kellogg Center.
2. From Montgomery: Take I-85 N towards Atlanta, take exit 32 toward Tuskegee/Franklin. Turn right onto CR-51/Tuskegee-Franklin Rd/Pleasant Springs Dr. Continue to follow CR-51/Pleasant Springs Dr. Turn slight left onto NW Washington Ave/County Rd 32. Turn right onto NW Franklin Rod. Turn right onto Old Montgomery Rd/AL-126. At the main entrance, please ask for the Kellogg Center.
3. From Birmingham: Take I-65 South to Montgomery and follow direction provided from Montgomery to Tuskegee.
For more information, please contact:
Nar Gurung @ 334-727-8457 or email@example.com, Anthony Kumi @ 334-332-7252 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
Drs. Nar Gurung, Uma Karki, Anthony Kumi, Ronald Smith, Alphonso Elliott and Ms. Yvonne Wright.
Organized by Tuskegee University, in collaboration with Florida A & M University and the Federation of Southern Cooperatives. The workshop will be held at the Kellogg Hotel and Conference Center, Tuskegee, AL 36088.
- Click here for the registration form
- Click here for the agenda